Book: Practical UI Patterns for Design Systems
My new interaction design book, “Practical UI Patterns for Design Systems: Fast-Track Interaction Design for a Seamless User Experience” is out now.
What you’ll learn
- Produce intuitive products through consistency and familiarity.
- Save time instead of starting from scratch.
- Communicate design decisions with evidence to support solutions.
- Use smart defaults without extensive product design experience.
- Improve a user’s experience.
- Scale growing business with design.
Who this book is for
This book is for those who are familiar with creating websites and want to learn more, such as designers, developers, WordPress bloggers, or marketers who want to weave components together into a usable, revenue-generating experience.
UI Patterns are recurring solutions to user interface problems in a context. A design system is a single source of truth for shared parts and processes, such as components, patterns, and guidelines, to build consistent products in an organization. It’s the ecosystem in which design happens and the output of design thinking reaches its intended audience.
Together, patterns and design systems can be used to create intuitive and predictable products that can grow with your business.
Understanding UI patterns is invaluable to anyone creating websites. It helps you make connections between which tools are right for which jobs, understand the processes, and think deeply about the context of a problem. This is your concise guide to the tested and proven approaches for solving recurring user interface problems, so that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
You’ll see how to find a pattern you can apply to a given UI problem and how to deconstruct patterns to understand them in depth, including their constraints. This book shows you how to spot anti-patterns, how to mix and match patterns, and how they inform design systems.
Given the emerging popularity of design systems and space of DesignOps, as well as the rise of companies competing on design and usability, now is the time to think about how we use and evolve UI patterns and scale design systems.
Where to buy the book
- Apress (paperback, ebook, worldwide)
- Springer (Paperback, ebook, worldwide)
- Amazon (Paperback, Kindle, US)
- Amazon (Paperback, Kindle, AU)
- Apple books (ebook, AU)
- Google books (ebook, worldwide)
- Barnes and Noble (paperback, worldwide)
- Angus & Robertson (Kobo Epub, Adobe Epub, AU)
- Angus & Robertson (Paperback, AU)
- Booktopia (Paperback AU)
- Kobo (Epub AU)
- Introducing UI patterns
- Tap into patterns
- Deciding which pattern to use and when
- Patterns in design systems
- Anti-patterns and dark patterns
- Mixing and matching patterns
For more insights, subscribe to the newsletter.